Can eye exercises improve vision? Are we stuck with the quality of vision we have or is there anything we can do to help us prevent deterioration of our eyesight with age? This is a popular topic, which is still controversial up to today. Scientists and opticians have different opinions on the effectiveness of eye exercises and other natural remedies, and till today, there’s little scientific evidence that suggests eye exercises work. However, there are certain exercises that we can do to prevent eye strain and make us feel better.
How Do Eye Exercises Prevent Eye Strain?
Performing eye exercises will probably not enhance your eyesight, but it can go a long way in increasing your eye comfort, especially if you usually spend a better part of your day behind a computer.
Increased computer usage or television watching, both at home and at work, can lead to a condition known as digital eye strain. This condition causes dry eyes, blurred vision, eye strain, and headache. Eye exercises can help you with digital eye strain symptoms and make you feel much better.
So to answer the question, ” can eye exercises improve vision?”, below are three simple eye exercises that you can do daily to prevent eye strain.
Do you know that blinking regularly can help your eyes feel and see better? Your eyes need moisture to see better and blinking is a natural way to keep your eyes moist. Blinking also allows you to focus longer and keep your eyes refreshed.
Television users and computer users tend to blink less, especially when they are reading or writing something. This causes the eyes to dry up and lead to eye strain.
So how does blinking keep your eyes moist? Your eyelids are like windshield wipers of your eyeballs! Every time you blink, the tarsal glands at the rim of your eyelids produce an oily substance known as meibum that cleanses your eyes. Because of this vital function, this exercise can help prevent eye strain.
How to perform the blinking exercise;
– Sit comfortably with your eyes open and blink every 3 to 4 seconds. Once you have completed the exercise, you will feel that your eyes relaxed and less strained and tired.
This is another simple eye exercise that you can do at home or work to help relieve stress and eye strain. The best time to perform this eye exercise is during breaks from your computer or television.
How to do the palming eye exercise;
– Sit comfortably on your chair and lean forward onto your work desk. You can also place your elbows on your knees if you don’t have a desk.
– Rub the palms of your hands vigorously till they are warm and gently place them on your closed eyes. Let the warmth of your palms transfer to your eyelids, as you feel your eyes relax in darkness.
– Keep the palms on your eyelids until you feel your palms are no longer warm.
– Repeat this exercise at least three times a day during your breaks.
Your eyes will absorb the heat on your palms and make them relax. This will relieve the muscle strain caused by prolonged staring at a digital screen.
3. Near and far focusing
This advantage of this eye exercise is that you can perform it almost anywhere. You can also perform it without drawing attention from those around you.
How to do the exercise;
– Sit comfortably on your chair and hold your thumb about 10 inches in front of your face. Focus on it for about 15 seconds.
– Now find an object about 10 to 20 feet from your where you are seated and focus on it for another 15 seconds.
– Switch your focus from the 10-20 feet object to your thumb in front of you. Repeat this five times.
Performing this simple exercise will strengthen your eye muscles and improve focus.
So, can eye exercises improve vision? The answer is yes – they can prevent and relieve eye strain and help you have a better eye focus. So don’t let the use of modern digital devices such as computers damage your eyes. You don’t have to quit your job because it involves prolonged staring at a digital screen. Instead, use the above simple eye exercises to strengthen your eyes and prevent digital eye strain.
Lastly, ensure you visit your doctor when you see your vision deteriorating. Don’t let your eyes get to the point where surgery becomes necessary, if you could help it.
There are some instances when it can not be avoided if you have cataracts that have growth patterns you can not control unil they are removed. The best option is to always make sure to get your annual or biannual vision check up from your doctor.
I mentioned a visit to the doctor twice and I am mentioning it again because rhis is very important. Take this advice from someone who knows about suffering with eye issues.